Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Rooting a Pineapple Top

Years ago I read that you could grow a pineapple plant from the top of a pineapple you get at the grocery store.  I tried it and got a mushy, moldy mess.  Yuch!

Last week my daughter was home from college and we had some family over.  We splurged and bought a pineapple - yummm!!!  I cut it up and we all enjoyed it very much.  Well, I decided to give it another go - and it's working!



I cut the top off the pineapple and removed all of the flesh (the mistake I made the first time was leaving some of the flesh).  I then removed some of the leaves and set the whole thing in a glass with water in it - I set it so it just touched the water.  It has been there for about a week and you can see the roots.  I will let it root out more and then transplant it into a pot with soil.  With any luck I may get a pineapple in 2-3 years!  Woo Hoo!!

Yummy treat and a new plant to boot - who knew?!  I will keep you posted on it's progress.

Get your hands dirty!

7 comments:

  1. How cool! I am looking forward to seeing how this plant grows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see how it grows..so ingenious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought to do that! We've grown avocado seeds into plants but this is quite an anomaly! Might give it a try just for the 'wow' factor with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the tip, Matt. I've always wondered how it's done but once going, where will you keep it? No doubt there'll be follow-ups so will look forward to pineapple progress.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, that's where I went wrong, great tip, I will definitely use it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read how to do this, but you made it sound very easy. I may just try this next time we buy pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tried a while ago but i failed, i think it's because i left the flesh too now that you mention it... i should give it another go, thanks a lot for posting this !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Sign up to be a Follower so you don't miss any of my posts!