Saturday, March 26, 2011

Hot Chicks for 2011

My wife and I have been raising chickens for about eight years now and have really enjoyed it.  We've lost a few chickens over the years to disease, neighborhood dogs, etc. and have found ourselves down to only three chickens this year.  Wendy, our oldest chicken, is actually eight years old; she was one of our very first chickens.  She is an Aracauna - the ones that lay the Easter Eggs.  She only lays about three eggs a year now, but we promise all of our chickens that we will take care of them and give them the best quality life that we can.  So, while she rarely contributes to our breakfast table any more she does contribute to our family.
So, we decided it was time to add to our flock!  And here they are:




There are actually five of them.  2 Buff Orpingtons, a Buttercup, an Astrolorp and a Wyandotte.  Jill and Haley have named them all - Millie, Buttercup and I don't remember the rest of their names.  Shame on me - I told Jill I will call them all Norm.  They don't come when I call anyway.

Get your hands dirty!

6 comments:

  1. They are cute! I wish I could have chickens but alas my HOA won't allow them. I have to get fresh eggs from the farmer down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are sooo cute. Is eight old for a chicken. My bird lives to about a hundred, so I am out of my element with chickens. Always wanted them, but city living keeps them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GWGT - 8 is about the average old age of chickens although there have been chickens live as long as 15. You must have a parrot?
    Karin - Sorry to hear about your HOA - one more reason I don't like them. But lucky you to have a local farmer to buy them from!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are so cute..so many people are now raising chickens..wish we could where we live..I think in retirement I would rather enjoy it...but that is a ways off...one never knows I may live somewhere I can at that point :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna - You'd be surprised how many cities are opening up to the idea of backyard chickens. I hope you get to raise some someday - they are a lot of fun, and the eggs are so much better than store bought. (And I'm looking forward to retirement too!)
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt,
    Meg took me to Southern States they had chicks earlier in the day. Two chicks left and they sell them in groups of five, go figure. These are very cute. years ago we had Buff Orpingtons and they laid lots of huge eggs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Sign up to be a Follower so you don't miss any of my posts!