Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My First Hypertufa Project

Well, I finally got my first hypertufa project going.  After following a few misleading guides online and making a few of my own mistakes here is the first project I tried:




The biggest mistake I made was not using enough, or the correct, release agent.  When I went to take my new creations out of their molds my square one was a block of wood and hypertufa that would not come apart.  I took the mold apart and tried to salvage what I could, but the inside of the mold would not come out.  My round one (pictured) worked a bit better.  I used a margarine container for the inside of the mold and covered it with tufa.  The only problem I had with this one was the board I set it on - it did not want to come off.  After negotiating with a screwdriver and chisel (and a few threats that I was going to use a hammer) it eventually gave way.  I used a wire brush and a file to clean up the edges that the screwdriver messed up a little - and I think it will work fine as a new home for some of my semps.

Thanks again to Tufa Girl for the help in getting started and in clearing up some of the misconceptions I got from other websites.

Stay tuned for Hypertufa - The Next Chapter coming soon!

Get your hands dirty!

10 comments:

  1. It is beautiful! There is nothing like just jumping in and doing it to really get how to do this tufa thing.

    One reminder, always wear gloves and a mask to protect yourself from the dust and "bits" that might fly around during the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this done before, should look good with Sempervirens.Hope you have drainage hole Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks wonderful, Matt! When I finally get started on my first hypertufa project, I'll be glad to have learned from you about what to do (and not do, as the case may be). I look forward to your next hypertufa creation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love working with concrete, but tufa makes so much more sense.
    Cheers!
    Alice
    aka Bay Area Tendrils

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read about this but haven't been brave enough to give it a try. thanks for taking the leap and giving us all a look at your results. I really want to try this.
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Very nice! Congratulations, Matt! By spring you will have them ready!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job...I feel my confidence rising!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job! I am becoming a bigger and bigger fan of hypertufa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I've been wanting to try this! Good job :-) The pots are so rustic looking. Last year I made some concrete leaves. That was a lot of fun, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Sign up to be a Follower so you don't miss any of my posts!