|Carrots need love too!|
- We make smoothies with carrots, apples, etc. But it's difficult in the winter when you don't have any fresh fruit or veg. So, we juice some of our carrots and make ice cubes with the juice. We take them out of the trays and put them in freezer bags to later use for smoothies.
- We store whole carrots in wooden boxes filled with sand. A layer of sand, then a layer of carrots, a layer of sand... and so on. They will store this way through the winter in our garage. (We don't have a root cellar - yet.)
- Carrots like to be stored in cool - moist - conditions. We spray just a bit of water on our carrots as we layer them with sand, and occasionally through the winter we will spritz the top of the sand with a little water.
- Temperature is important - they need to be kept cool. But more important is even temperature - a fluctuation of even 5-10 degrees can cause carrots to rot or grow - not good.
- Cut the top growth back to 1/2" but don't cut off the tip - that can cause rot too.
Get your hands dirty!