Thursday, August 19, 2010

Help! I'm being choked by Bindweed!

Are your plants pleading for help?  So am I!

Bindweed (AKA Morning Glory, Convolvulus arvensis) is an evil little blighter that grows along the ground until it reaches a fence, pole or your favorite plant and then jumps and climbs like wild fire smothering everything in it's path.  It can reproduce from a piece of it's root, from rhizomes, stem fragments and seeds which can lie dormant in the soil for 20 or more years.  To put it bluntly, once it is established it is nearly impossible to eradicate.

So, what can we do to get rid of it?

Well, Let's open it up to you...   Let me know what you have done and how it worked and I will follow up with some of the tactics that have worked for me and hopefully some new ideas from you.

1 comment:

  1. At our new house there was bindweed EVERYWHERE!
    I first made the mistake of pulling them and leaving them to the side...but they started growing again.(I'm an amateur)

    Now I just get mad at them and pull them out every week or so. (and throw them in the garbage) It's been a lot of work, but they are slowly dwindling in number. So all I can suggest is perseverance!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Sign up to be a Follower so you don't miss any of my posts!